SSSUK's Annual Symposium and AGM 2018 will take place in London on Saturday 22nd September.
Venue: the Khalili Lecture Theatre, School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), Thornhaugh Street (off Russell Square), London WC1H 0XG.
Timings: Registration is from 9:15 to 10.15. The symposium programme will begin at 10:15 sharp, and will end at 17:00.
10.15: Welcome from the SSSUK Chairperson, Gill Lusk.
10.25: Sudan and South Sudan at the Museum: historical connections, future prospects
- Collecting and displaying Mahdist material culture: Nicholas Badcott, Education Manager, British Museum.
- Reconnecting the arts and heritage of South Sudan in European museums: Dr. Cherry Leonardi and Dr. Zoë Cormack, Co-Directors, South Sudan Museum Network.
11.30: Gender & Religion in Sudan and how it impacts on and hinders Sudan's capacity to evolve: Hala al Karib, Regional Director, Strategic Initiative for Women in the Horn of Africa (SIHA).
1.15-1.55: SSSUK Annual General Meeting. Non-members may attend but not vote.
2.00: The Post-Al Turabi Regime and its re-use of the Eritrean Islamist Movement: Jihad Salih Mashamoun, Postgraduate, Arab and Islamic Studies, Exeter University.
2.35: Sudan and South Sudan Literature Week: a Celebration of all genres of writing: Frédérique Cifuentes Morgan, Photojournalist, Film Director & Curator, and Moniem Ibrahim, Video Producer & Art Handler.
3.10-3.40: Tea and coffee.
3.40: Dismantling UNAMID: Causes and effects of ending the United Nations-African Union Mission in Darfur.
- “Janjaweedism” and the future of the people of Darfur without UNAMID: Ahmed Tugod Lissan, Secretary for Peace and Negotiations, Justice & Equality Movement.
- Witnessing Sudan's deadly war on peacekeepers in Darfur and how the UN covered it up: Dr. Aicha el Basri, former UNAMID Spokesperson and whistle-blower.
- UNAMID's drawdown: the UK perspective: Natalie Palmer, Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
- Implications of UNAMID's withdrawal: Dr. Rosalind Marsden, Associate Fellow, Chatham House.
Books and handicrafts will be on sale.
Please book in advance as we cannot guarantee a place or lunch for those who register on the day. Those who book in advance should still register at the desk when they arrive on 22nd September.
If you use cheques, you can book by downloading the booking form, here, filling it in and sending it to the Treasurer with your cheque.
Otherwise you can book using this PayPal button:
If paying by PayPal for other people, please inform the SSSUK Treasurer by email (email@example.com), giving their name(s) and the payment reference.